Prayer said by David Gilbey, Leader of Chelmsford 24-7 Prayer, during the Churches Together Procession of Witness service in Chelmsford High Street, Good Friday, 25 March 2016
As we pray and declare this morning, feel free to speak out in agreement and to lift your hands.
Let us now end with, the prayer Jesus himself taught us, a prayer that talks about God's power, His glory, the
Kingdom of Heaven coming to earth.
- Almighty God, this day we remember the death and sacrifice of Your only Son.
And as Jesus cried from the Cross, 'It is finished', forever the relationship between You and us, corrupted by original sin was restored.
Thank You that today, with knowledge of all that took place so long ago, we can confidently, cry out, with joyful and thankful hearts, that He did not remain in that tomb but HE HAS RISEN! - JESUS IS ALIVE!
- This afternoon our City experiences its first modern day open-air Passion Play. We thank you Lord that the complete Easter story of death to life will be dramatically shared and proclaimed.
Lord bless both cast and crew, and through their portrayal by your Holy Spirit, speak powerfully to the many who will come to watch and wonder.
- We thank you Lord that from its market town origins, Chelmsford is a now a growing and prospering City.
We pray a blessing on our City, and for the safety and protection of all who live, visit and work here, from the very youngest to the oldest.
May your peace and presence rest over our City leaders, and upon all those who serve us within the City and County Councils.
Lord bless our places of education, emergency services, our courts, medical and social services, our shops and businesses, transport services, charities and institutions and bless all others who contribute to the life of our City in any way.
- But Lord, we are well aware that most in this City do not know you as personal Lord and Saviour.
Lord, raise up your church, with a fresh anointing of the Holy Spirit, to tell all of Chelmsford the 'Good News' of Jesus, not just this Easter time, but to be a consistent, 24-7 voice for him.
Let us be intentional, to move out from our buildings, onto our streets and into our communities. Let
us here fulfill the Great Commission to see people, saved, healed and set free from sin and bondage.
May we be confident that as we go out, it is in Your power and authority.
And Lord may we increasingly become people of prayer, realising that through prayer we have access to the Keys of Your Kingdom, to bind and to loose, to proclaim liberty for those here who are captives.
Make this City Lord, a City of 24-7 Prayer.
- May there be greater unity and love between all the churches and denominations in this City. May our traditions and religious practice always take second place to the central truths of the Gospel.
Lord, bless each who are leaders within our churches, that they might serve and guide with renewed passion, strength and purpose and with an increased love for each other.
- And finally Lord, let the image of your Cross stand tall, like a fiery beacon, shining as the sun, reflecting your Glory, dispelling darkness; from the very centre of this City, out to the north, south, east and west and out to its limits and beyond.
We proclaim that Chelmsford will be a City on a Hill, lit up for the Gospel, shining out across our County, Region and to the Nation Lord.
Jehovah Nissi, let your banner be raised over Chelmsford proclaiming LOVE and UNITY.
Holy Spirit bring renewal to your church, and bring revival to our City.
We pray this in the wonderful name of the risen Jesus.
Let us say together the traditional version of the Lord's Prayer, slowly and deliberately, speaking in our God given authority and causing every word to reverberate across and over our City.
Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.